Field Trip EarthElephants of Cameroon
Waiting for the Boat
Elephants of Cameroon Home
Choose a Trip
Field Trip Earth Home

Field Trip Earth

Join Field Trip Earth
About Field Trip Earth
Field Reports
What I Know About...
Educator Resources
Contact Field Trip Earth

Home > Elephants of Cameroon > Field Diaries > Waiting for the Boat

Waiting for the Boat

by Mike Loomis
March 25, 2003

We had planned to head to Nki National Park today, but the boat that was to take us to Libongo to pick up our vehicle was involved in a tri-national (Cameroon, Central African Republic, and Republic of Congo) anti-poaching patrol, and therefore cannot pick us up until tomorrow morning. We spent the day relaxing, doing laundry, and swimming in the river. Jason repaired the oxygen regulator, so we will be able to use oxygen with the next elephant, as we normally do. We leave tomorrow at 10:00 am and will spend the night in Mambele enroute to Nki.

mugshotAbout the author:

Dr. Mike Loomis is Chief Veterinarian at the North Carolina Zoological Park.

Would you like to comment on this article?
(print) View printer-friendly version